Top 10 Reasons You Are Not Losing Fat
Here are the most frequent reasons that a dieter doesn’t lose fat, as opposed to weight. Weight may not change much if you are gaining muscle mass while reducing food intake. Adding muscle will help you lose fat.
1. Menu is too high in calories from calorie dense foods like snack foods, pizza, desserts, pasta, bread, and dairy products.
2. Activity and exercise levels are too low, or non-existent.
3. Slow thyroid. Check by taking your temperature as soon as you wake up each morning. If your temperature is below 98.6 degrees for 7 days in a row, bring the results to the attention of your physician. He can run further tests. About one in two Americans has an under active thyroid.
4. Fewer than 20 grams of protein are consumed for breakfast. Protein regulates insulin levels. When a high sugar or carbohydrate meal is consumed for breakfast, insulin levels in the blood become elevated. In the presence of insulin, fat is stored for energy, not broken down. Hypoglycemia all day long is the result.
5. Too much fat is consumed. Butter, salad dressing, fried foods, fast foods.
6. Too much sugar is consumed. Did you know that juice manufacturers are allowed by the FDA to put sugar in juice and label it “unsweetened,” because they feel that much of the sugar was leached out during processing. You eat too much sugar. *Each American eats 50 lb. per year!
7. The heaviest meal is eaten at night rather than at breakfast. Way too often people eat too much right before they go to bed, or worse, they eat midnight snacks. If you eat for the activity level that will follow the meal, then you’ll know not to eat a big meal before bed. All you’re doing is sleeping and storing fat (energy). Try no food three hour before bedtime.
8. Alcohol slows down the metabolism and is processed like sugar by the body.
9. There are too few meals or calories eaten per day. The body goes into a starvation mode, where it uses muscle for energy needs while conserving fat. Eat at least three staggered meals per day. Never skip a meal, unless it’s at night.
10. Too many unhealthy snacks are consumed.